What is an ultrasound scan?
This is a simple examination that involves taking pictures of your body using sound waves.
Before your appointment
- If you are unable to keep your appointment it is important that you let us know as soon as possible on 0121 685 4135.
- You are advised to leave your jewellery at home for safe keeping, items may have to be removed prior to your scan.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing on the day of your scan
What happens during the scan?
- You may be asked to change into a gown by a member of staff depending on which part of your body is to be examined.
- On entering the ultrasound area, the doctor/sonographer will ask you to either lie on a couch or sit on a chair.
- Some special gel will be placed on the part of your body that is to be examined.
- The examination usually takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
- Certain specialised examinations may differ, but these will be explained to you.
What happens after the scan?
The results of the scan will be sent to the consultant / Advanced Health Practitioner who sent you for the examination and they will inform you of the results.
There are currently no known risks associated with the use of ultrasound.
0121 685 4135